Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Getting Older - Memoir

I thought getting older meant I’d be smarter. Don’t gray hairs prove wisdom? How come I forget where I put my keys? Or why can’t I remember that word I’m trying to say? Senior moments definitely don’t equal smarter. However, I do find I’m smarter in one way. I’m smart enough to know that I’m not as smart as I thought I was. Now, that’s smart! 


I thought getting older meant I would travel and see the world. My goal, among other places, was to visit Ireland; but no one mentioned that getting older might arrive before I had the money saved to go that far. According to Ancestry DNA, I’m only 5% Irish, anyway. So, I pivot. Let’s stay in America.


I thought getting older meant I would have children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren bustling around the holiday table, enjoying roasted turkey, stuffing with gravy, and tart cranberry sauce. I would spend my time reading my favorite childhood stories to all of my genetic offspring. No one reminded me that my children had to have children for that to happen. Too late. Should I adopt? I do have a foster street cat! I wonder if she would like to hear me read, The Iliad?



Getting older certainly didn’t turn out to be what I expected; that is true. I do travel, up and down Highway 45, to Houston to visit my husband of 54 years who has Alzheimers. He doesn’t remember when I’ve been, but at least I know I haven’t forgotten him. And I often take side trips to visit new friends, walk the trails, or shop for craft supplies. 


I take more prescriptions now. I have a missing thyroid, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. Allergies strike now and then and my joints ache. I spend a lot of time sitting with my back against a heating pad, trying to cook the arthritis out. 


I find it easier to gain weight now, as well. One Kolache yields an extra five pounds an hour or so it seems. I spend much of my time watching my diet. Don’t add too much salt! Quit eating white flour and white sugar! Make sure you drink a gallon or so of water every day! Does coffee count? 


But getting older has it’s ups as well. I’ve met many new and interesting people here in Galveston. People I’ve grown to love and think of as extended family. I’ve experienced new learning adventures at OLLI’s including classes in international cuisine, memoir writing, artificial intelligence, and classical literature. I’ve tackled new skills like piano lessons, how to play AZUL, and how to make Spanakopita. 



Getting older also gives me freedom. I don’t worry about wearing the wrong clothes, winning arguments, or expressing myself honestly. There just isn’t enough time in my day to worry about these things. I want to smell the roses.


In spite of the negatives of getting older, I’m happy I made it this far. As my dear father-in-law used to say, “Consider the alternative!” Getting older definitely has its benefits. 

1 comment:

  1. You need to do a search on you tube for Tom Rush the memory song. It's a hoot.

    ReplyDelete