Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Day 2 with Hearing Aids

 I couldn't wait to post my 2nd day with my new hearing aids. I am so delighted that I bought these. As a review, I bought the Jabra Enhance Select 300 with the 3 year warranty and 100 day trial for $1995. Now for my second day:

Today, I took a walk up to the restaurant near the beach. As I walked outside by the lake, I turned on the nature mode and was delighted to hear all the beautiful bird sounds; sounds I had not heard before. Pelicans I usually hear, but some of the smaller birds that made twittering sounds had been out of my hearing zone. Not today. It was a bird symphony! 

The wind was blowing, but it did not interfere with my hearing at all. In fact, I could even hear the swish of the palm tree leaves as they blew back and forth, brushing against tree trunks. Never heard that before! 

As I passed an apartment that was having work done on its roof, I could even hear a workman on the roof talking to his coworker! 

Next I went into the restaurant. This was a small one so I didn't expect to hear much difference. But I did! As I walked in, it became very noisy with dishes clattering. One push of the button on my hearing aid and I switched into restaurant mode. I made some other adjustments on my phone because I was having trouble at first hearing the girl taking my order. Then I sat down and just listened. 

I heard the workers talking back and forth, taking orders, and even understand most of the orders being given. Next to me I heard someone tearing open a straw wrapper. I didn't know that made a sound! LOL! Then a worker turned on a blender! Waaa! That was loud, but a quick adjustment and the noise went away. The other thing that I had never noticed before was the music playing in the background. 

When I left, I had my second "Too loud" experience. I was standing directly in front of a car bumper when the owner turned the car on. OMG! That was loud! I had switched back to nature mode. I quickly switched modes and walked away. I wonder how that would have sounded in the Everyday mode? 

As I'm walking back home, I hear someone talking on the phone across the street and understand what they are saying! I hear people talking on their patios. Before I reach my house, I decide to take them out and experience the difference. It was huge! All the pretty bird sounds disappeared. No conversations, no trees swishing, just muffled sounds and a rare bird call. 

Next, I decide to go to Kroger for groceries for my covered dish on Sunday. This was another exciting adventure! My hearing aids connect to Apple Car Play! As I was driving I got a phone call through my hearing aids! Then, I used Siri to call someone else. That was fun! 

In Krogers, I noticed music playing again. I have never noticed music in Kroger's before! The other thing that happened at Kroger's was I thought I had lost one of my hearing aids in the parking lot. They are so comfortable, I was sure it had fallen out. Nope, it was there! 

All in all it was a great day. I came home and took them out for the day . . . trying to stick to the four hours a day for now. One of the ear pieces that sits inside the ear feels like it could be a tad bit too large, so I might switch to a smaller size. I'll ask the audiologist on Wednesday.

My score for these hearing aids is still A+! I'm very happy with them so far. I'll update after a large restaurant visit and the covered dish. 

UPDATE: March 30. I recommend these hearing aids 100% for anyone with low to moderate hearing loss. I am very happy with them. They do everything I need and more. They are comfortable, easy to adjust, and effective. I can't imagine how higher priced ones would help me any more. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! The hearing aids are an eye opening (ear opening?) experience for you. I'm delighted you are enjoying a feast of sounds via these magical devices.

    ReplyDelete