Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Day 1 with Hearing Aids

I did NOT realize how bad my hearing was until I got my new hearing aids! They came yesterday by Federal Express. It took me about a half-hour to get them in my ears, between making sure they were charged and figuring out how to work the app that goes with it. 

Yesterday, I wore them for about four hours. I went to a craft meeting that was in a medium size room with about ten people. I had no trouble hearing everyone or adjusting to the aids. I took them off when I got home and charged them overnight.

This morning I wore them to watch one of my favorite TV shows: Tournament of Champions. I took off the captioning I normally have on so I could test my hearing without the help of the words on screen. I did fine - no captioning needed! I did have to mute the tv whenever they had loud clapping. I will talk with the Audiologist to see if this is something that can be adjusted. 

The real eye opener came when I was three-fourths through the show and decided to take off my hearing aids. Without changing any settings on the tv, I took them off to see if I could tell the difference. OMG, it was like I was in a tunnel. I couldn't understand much of what was said at all! Now I see the difference! I really did need these aids! 

So far, I really like them. It was easy to learn to use the app to adjust for sound and noise level. There are preset settings for All Around, Restaurants, Music, and Outdoors. In addition, with a click of a button, I can customize each of these presets on a more personal level. 

  

On the hearing aids themselves, I can tap a button to change the volume or rotate between the four presets. Very easy to do and convenient. The app can be used to make more specific changes if needed. I'll be testing this more when I go to church and covered dish on Sunday. Today, I'm going to take a walk outside and see how they do.

They recommend that I wear them a few hours a day until I get used to them. So that's what I'm going to do. 

Next week, I'll have my Audiologist appointment to make any further adjustments, if needed. I will update after that. So far, A+ for these hearing aids! 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like these hearing aids could be life-changing for you. I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete