Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2024

Independence Day and Hurricane Beryl-July 2024

Hurricane Beryl, in the summer of 2024, was the catalyst that got me moving in the right direction - towards independence. It was time for me to take the next step in my life - to do the things I’ve been afraid to do because I have to do them alone. 

Traveling by myself was one of those things. I was afraid to fly. Afraid to drive across the country alone. Calling an UBER or taxi made me anxious. I worried about Bill and my dog, Oreo. Who would take care of them while I'm gone. No, it's just too hard to travel. So, I didn't. 

When I learned that Beryl was heading further east than originally anticipated, I decided to evacuate my home in Galveston. I knew Bill would be ok in the Veteran’s home in Houston as it was built recently and with Texas storms in mind. But my apartment in Galveston is old, and I live on the first floor. The weather forecasters were predicting floods, not wind damage, so I left. My daughter, Shelly, who lives on the 3rd floor, chose to stay behind. 

I packed up the car with my important paperwork, my best clothes, food and Rx for me and Oreo, and whatever else I couldn’t replace that would fit in the car. 

I had plans on leaving at noon. I wanted to be sure everything was battened down and that I didn't leave anything behind. However, in the midst of pondering my options, I got a call from Shelly, “Mom, you have to leave, now! The rain is on its way, and I don’t want you to be caught driving in the storm.”

Now, I was truly panicked. I scrambled out to the patio and literally threw the furniture and decor into the middle of my living room floor. I raced out the front door, grabbed the doormat, my ceramic porcupine, and the valet trashcan off the porch and flung them in my hallway. Then, I snatched Oreo and tried to get her to “go potty” for the long drive. That was not happening. She could see I was stressed and that made her stressed. The more I yelled, “go potty,” the more she would not go potty. I finally gave up, tossed her in the car, and headed up the road. By now, my blood pressure was probably 180/100! 

I made it to Houston before the rain started. Fortunately for me, it was one of the tails of the hurricane, and it was not long before I drove out of the downpour. The rest of the trip to Austin was peaceful, so I my blood pressure finally calmed down. 

I stopped at Bucky’s on the way into Austin where I got food and Oreo did her business. All was well as I drove into the entrance of my son’s apartment. Now I could relax until the storm was over. 

Unfortunately, the storm came into Galveston worse than predicted. Shelly and I were on the phone a good part of the night as she endured the assault of the hurricane. The winds roared, swirling debris slammed the sides of her building, her roof began to drip water, and the windows leaked. I can only imagine how she felt on the 3rd floor. That is another story only she can tell. 

Eventually, the storm passed, leaving the whole area without electricity. Beryl's 85 mph winds had downed power lines and poles from Houston to Galveston. Rubble and water covered the streets, trees pierced roof tops of homes and businesses, dozens of pelicans lay dying on the causeway, and the temperatures soared into the 90s with 60% humidity. Although, all my friends and family were safe, it would take weeks to recover from Hurricane Beryl. 

That was when I decided to take a new step to my independence. My son, Wil, encouraged me to “get out and see the world” while he took care of Oreo. I quickly booked a flight to New Jersey before I could change my mind. What better way to start my new life than around family. 

So, now I'm here, staying with my cousin, Diane. Not only will I have a chance to visit with my extended family, but I’m planning on taking some radical steps to prepare me for my new “single” life. 

Step 1: I’m going to get around in New Jersey by myself, as needed. No more depending on family to get me there. Yesterday, I drove 20 minutes away, on the highway, to see my aunt in her nursing home and then shopped for groceries. All by myself. Guess what? It was easier than getting around in Houston to visit Bill! 

Step 2: On my way home, I’m planning to take a train from Trenton to Philadelphia, all by myself. No more depending on family to take me and pick me up from the airport. I’ve never done this before, but I can do it. I know I can. 

Step 3: I’m going to learn to UBER. I’m going to UBER from the train station to my hotel near the airport. 

Step 4: No more plane PTSD! If I need to fly, I’m going to fly. After all, it’s more risky to drive on Houston highways than it is to fly in a plane.  

Step 5: I’m going to set boundaries. If anyone says “No, you can’t stay in a hotel or drive across the country by yourself, I’m going to listen to advice that helps me make a safe decision, but I’m going to do whatever it takes to make me more independent. 

My friends and loved ones want to protect me, but I need to do this for me. I spent my whole life dependent on someone: my family or my husband. Now, I’m alone. I have to learn to do for myself or I will waste the years I have left wishing I had done the things I wanted to do. 

No more. Today begins Independence Day for Cindy Downes. 

UPDATE: I downloaded the UBER and LIFT apps. Got familiar with them and then proceeded to let my cousins take care of me the whole week, even take me to the airport. It was too easy to let them do it. Hopefully, I'll work on this when I get back to Galveston. One step forward, two steps back. . . 

2 comments:

  1. Lori here… Congratulations Cindy, you are doing it your way!!! 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly a declaration of independence.

    ReplyDelete