Homeschooling Trends was a fun article for me to write as it was about homeschooling, one of my passions! I enjoyed meeting new homeschooling friends, as well as interviewing Shandra Pinion, a young lady I've known since she was a child.
I also enjoyed working with a new editor, Anna Politano. She was absolutely wonderful to work with. Thank you, Anna, for the great editing job, too!
Magazine writing is a rewarding experience. If you haven't tried it yet, you should. Here are some reasons I like magazine article writing:
- I get to meet new people: the people I interview, as well the editors for whom I am writing
- I get to learn something new - even if I am familiar with the subject, I always learn something from my interviewees
- I get to visit new places - I love to go to new towns, visit their museums and discover their local dining hangouts
- Sometimes I get freebies for writing product reviews, such as iPad covers, appliances, sports equipment, books, etc.
- The assignment has a deadline - I work more efficiently with deadlines
- The assignment is short - I get to see the fruit of my labor much sooner than if I were writing a book
For more information on how to writer for magazines, check out these books:
- Writer's Market 2011 - find out which magazines are buying articles and what the editors want
- Complete Idiot's Guide to Publishing Magazine Articles - an introduction to magazine writing
- Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing - this is the one I learned with. Although it's not as current as it should be, it still provides all the essential information needed by writers of magazine articles.
- On Writing Well - a classic - this book will help you improve your writing skills. I try to read it at least once a year. It's time to read it again!