Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2024

No More Wheelchair?

There are always new changes with Alzheimer’s. Today, I had to face the tough reality that I can no longer take Bill out in the car with me. His upper body is still fairly strong, but now he needs professional assistance to get in and out of the wheelchair. He’s been falling more often, and it’s become a serious risk. I can’t chance him falling while we’re out. Not only could it hurt Bill, but at my age, it could seriously hurt me too. Bill doesn’t understand why we can’t go out like we used to, but the nurses at the VA are working with me to come up with new ways for him to feel like he’s “going out.”  

Today, I drove to Houston a little later than usual so I would arrive in time for exercise class. He sees me and smiles. I can see he’s happy I’m there. Then he goes back to throwing and catching the big blue balloon, one of his favorite exercises.    

 

After the workout, we have lunch together. I had stopped at HEB on my way to Houston to pick up a veggie/fruit/cheese snack pack and two salads to supplement the lunch provided by the VA. Bill enjoyed the “goodies” and then polished off his VA meal, as well! I ate my salad and then realized the snack pack was gone before I had a chance to get any. Next time, I’ll buy two!  

 

Next, I tell him we’re going “to a party.” The VA is divided into four pods – three for independent and assisted living, and the fourth is the locked memory care unit. There’s a celebration happening in one of the other pods, and we’re invited. 

 

I buy him a coke at the vending machine and off we go. He’s delighted to be out of the locked unit, drinking his coke, and chatting with the people he meets. Most of them know who he is and call him by name. He may not remember them, but he always says hello and asks how they are doing. He definitely enjoys the attention.  

 

The VA does a great job with these events – there’s always music, speakers, and food. Sometimes they have games and prizes. It depends on the day. Today is a musical celebration. I enjoy the outing because I can just sit and talk with Bill. I don’t have to worry about transportation or fall risks. Best of all, if he needs to go to the bathroom, someone from the medical staff goes with him. I don’t have to leave my seat! 






Our Activity Director: Marilyn - What a nice voice!
Let the video run and you'll see the whole crew!
 

All in all, it was a good day. Bill was happy most of the day. No sundowning. No paranoia. No accidents. No yelling or getting angry. He was sad when I told him I was leaving, but the nurse gently guided him to his room, and I quietly slipped out. 


After the long drive home, I parked the car and opened the trunk to take out the wheelchair. I rolled it into the apartment and tucked it in my closet. As I closed the door, I found myself wondering, “Will it ever be used again?” I briefly consider giving it away, but then remember my own age. “I better save it. Someday, it could be me in the wheelchair.”  

3 comments:

  1. Sweet story have a nice visit. Keep the chair you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are wonderful. I'm glad you and Bill had a good day today. Beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there you are doing a good job

    ReplyDelete