Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

DNR Decision, Part 2

I went to Houston today and took Bill out for lunch. I had all intentions of talking to him about the DNR; but I quickly realized, that only when I’m at home do I think he is capable of making such a decision. He has the cognitive skills of a 6-year-old. How can I ask him to make a decision like that - I can’t. So I didn’t.

I had done more research on the internet and, in the process, discovered the low outcomes post DNR, especially with people who have dementia. 

"Even if a patient does survive the initial resuscitation, their long-term quality of life can be significantly impacted. For patients with dementia, the quality of life post-resuscitation is often diminished due to the additional neurological impairments that may occur during cardiac arrest. Studies show that many survivors experience worsened cognitive function and physical disabilities. In some cases, these patients may not regain their previous level of independence, and the overall prognosis for returning to a meaningful quality of life is generally poor.

Additionally, the chances of long-term survival are slim, with significant mortality within the first year after discharge. For older patients, particularly those over 70, survival rates drop even further, with only a small percentage surviving beyond one year."

Really not much positive about it. I didn’t realize (or it didn’t register) that it would probably decrease his brain function even more, among other things, making his quality of life even worse. I can't do that to him.

I’ve decided to sign a DNR. It’s the right thing to do. I guess I didn’t want to face it. But face it, I must. 

The Social Worker will email me the form and I must sign it in front of two witnesses, so that is my job this week. Damn, this is hard.

The good thing is that Bill is in fair physical condition, other than high blood pressure and arthritis. So we shouldn't need the DNR for quite some time. In the meantime, I'll continue to take him out for his rides around Houston; the one thing he looks forward to each week. At least we have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment