Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Writing Without Distractions

Last night, Ally was talking about how she uses an Alpha Smart to write her first draft so that you doesn't have any distractions. With this small word processor, she doesn't have any temptation to go back and edit. She also can't get on the Internet and get distracted by email or other online activities.

Ally writes the first draft on the Alpha Smart and then sends the draft to her computer, where she does all the editing. (She also leaves home so she is not tempted to cook, clean, or otherwise be distracted.

I thought that sounded like a great idea, but I wondered if there was something on my iPad I could use instead.

Sure enough, I found an app for my iPad called, My Writing Spot. With this app, I can write, keep track of the number of words written, and sync it with an online version using my Google Account for a backup.  I can also send myself an email copy or print the story from the application.

Another feature of My Writing Spot is the ability to look up words in a Thesaurus and Dictionary right from the application.


Simply type the word in on the app; the app goes online behind the scene and brings in the definition or synonyms from Dictionary.com or the online Thesaurus. No need for me to go online and get distracted.

Granted, this app will have the potential for more distractions than the Alpha Smart, but I like the convenience, simplicity and backup features. I carry my iPad with me all the time and have a bluetooth keyboard that I can use with it for more efficient typing.


I'll give it a try for a few days and let you know if it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment