Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Editing

The hardest part of writing for me is editing. I just finished the first draft of an article for Oklahoma Living Magazine. The article is required to be 1,700-2,000 words in length. My word count is almost 2,500! I've got some serious cutting to do!

I interviewed six people and gathered lots of interesting quotes and valuable information. The challenge now is to decide which quotes and information are most important. It makes me sad not to be able to use everything I learned from these helpful and informative people.

I go through this every time I write an article, but it has to be done. Editors aren't happy when you hand in a piece that's too long. So, tomorrow is chopping day! Sigh!

Of course, there is another solution. I could take what's left and craft a second article for another magazine!

No comments:

Post a Comment