Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Rejections - those necessary evils to make you a better writer!

I sent four copies of my ferret story out during the conference in NYC. I've gotten two rejections back so far. At least the second one gives me hope that I can actually write some fiction worth publishing in the future! For those of you who have never received one, I publish mine here for your reference!

Rejection #1:

"Thanks very much for sending this story.  It's sweet, but the rhyming doesn't feel organic to me, and the writing overall isn't, in my opinion, strong enough for the picture book market.  I do appreciate the opportunity, and I wish you the best of luck." Kind regards, Jennifer DeChiara, The Jennifer DeChiara Literary Agency

Rejection #2:
"Cindy, Thank you so much for meeting me in New York and for the opportunity to read a sample of CAROLINE'S FERRETS. Unfortunately, this is a pass for me. The writing here is good and the premise is interesting but I'm having a hard time imagining how to pitch or sell this in today's market. I'm afraid the sales hook/potential isn't as strong as I need it to be. You've obviously a very skilled writer but I'm not connecting to the material enough to be the best advocate for it in the marketplace, and you deserve nothing less. I'm sure another agent will feel differently and I look forward to reading about your many successes. Cheers,"  Mary Kole, Associate Agent, Andrea Brown Literary Agency, Inc."
So, what am I doing about it? Well, I'm currently rewriting it, hoping to make it rhyme better and trying to figure out a better sales hook. I'm not giving up on fiction, yet!

Jennifer and Mary  - Thank you for the feedback!

1 comment: