Pages

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Mystery Progress and Software

This morning I woke up at my usual time and started working on my mystery. I am using Scrivener to  create an outline of sorts. I really like this software. I created chapters, then I created cork board note cards for the first two chapters. That's as far as I got - bare bones outline of the background and murder.

I worked on character sketches using the character feature and even put in some "photos" of my main characters. Now, when I work on the characters, I can look at the photos and get a "feel" for their personality. For names, I downloaded the popular names of the decade from Social Security website for each decade in my book. After I found a first name, I used Scrivener's Name Creator feature for a last name. I didn't put a lot of effort into names as I will probably change them or they will get changed if I get published.

Scrivener Screenshots
There is a places feature on Scrivener as well, but I didn't do much with it yet.

I was having trouble getting my dates and times mixed up, so I did a search and came up with Aeon Timeline. I'm using a demo of this to see if it works. So far, I am really impressed. I can create a timeline of events and intersect it with people who interact with those events. The software computes ages of your characters as well. I'll write more about this software as I do more with it.

Aeon Timeline Screenshot
I also downloaded a sample of Scapple, which is a software created by Scrivener. It is a tool for creating and connecting ideas. I haven't used this one at all yet. I will keep you posted.

Scapple Screenshot
So, I feel like I had a productive day. I don't have a lot of time each week to work on writing, so I have made myself a schedule to keep writing a priority. Otherwise, I won't write at all. As most of my friends know, I am still teaching part time. I am also the chauffeur for my vision-impaired husband, I work part time as an accountant for both my son and daughter's self-employment, and, when I have free time, I scrapbook, read mysteries, work out at the gym, and walk my dog. So, it's a challenge, but scheduling is helping. Each day, I have a specific task and I only deviate for doctor appointments, if I have to. Even if it takes me the rest of my life, I'm determined to write this mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment