Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Mentor Texts

I just purchased this book from Amazon and had to share it with those of you who teach writing classes. The book is called, Mentor Texts: Teaching Writing Through Children's Literature, K-6 by Lynne R. Dorfman and Rose Cappelli. It was published in 2007, so it's been around awhile; but, in case you missed it, here's a short review.

First, the author's explain what a mentor text is and the value of mentor texts. I discovered that I had been using "mentor texts" but didn't know that is what it was called. For example, last fall when I was teaching my 3rd-5th graders, I used the book, Faint Frogs Feeling Feverish to teach them about alliteration.
After we read the book and saw how the authors used alliteration to tell a story, I had the children create their own story using alliteration.

The rest of the book provides examples and short lesson plans for using mentor texts. For example, there are lessons on using mentor texts to learn how to write details; how to choose topics; how to write beginnings, middles, and end; how to choose specific words, and and to write descriptive sentences. There are so many wonderful ideas! I can't wait to use them in my classes next year.

I liked this book so much, I just ordered Nonfiction Mentor Texts by the same authors, today!

I can't recommend Mentor Texts enough. If you're teaching writing, this is a must-have resource!

No comments:

Post a Comment