Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Hearing Aids, Part III

I wanted to give a last report on my MDHearing Aids in case anyone else is considering them. My recommendation: Do it! But, here's the catch: You have to be motivated to wear hearing aids to get through the "NOISY" stage!

The first two weeks, I wasn't sure I would be able to continue wearing them. I wanted to pull them out all the time. I left them in for five hours a day and then took them off. That was all I could stand. Then, about the 3rd week, I started finding myself leaving them in for longer. This week, I almost went to bed with them on!

The bottom line is this: If you really need hearing aids, you will have to go through an adjustment period. There is so much noise out there that you haven't been hearing, and it takes a while for your brain to adjust to the new noise level. If it had not been that I was highly motivated for the sake of my students, I don't think I would have persevered long enough to have success.

Now, I am very glad I persevered. I can hear my students MUCH better. My husband doesn't have to deal with my loud TV and radio! I can hear the birds singing and all the pleasant noises I've missed for so long. I've learned to tune out the fans, the car noise, and the other non-so-pleasant noises that interfere with my hearing.

I like the fact that, with a press of two buttons, I can tune out much of the restaurant noise. If you get hearing aids, make sure that they include this background noise elimination feature. It's well worth it!

If you are on a budget, or even if you are not, I highly recommend the MDHearing Aids. (I do not get free ones or $ for saying this!) For $600, I got two hearing aids that would have cost me $4,000-$10,000 elsewhere. Are the $600 ones as good as the $4-$10K? That I can't tell you. All I can say is that I am happy with my purchase. Perhaps, it's like cars. I can't afford a Mercedes, either, but I'm happy with my Prius. On my budget, the MDHearing Aids do what I need them to do. I can hear better and they are comfortable enough to wear all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment