Pages

Monday, May 5, 2014

Gathering Shadows by Nancy Mehl

Nancy Mehl is a new author for me; but, after reading Gathering Shadows, she is now one of my favorite authors! 

The story line is best described on the back cover: "Wynter Evans is a promising young reporter for a television station in St. Louis, but even a bright future doesn't take away her pain over the disappearance of her brother nine years ago. So when she stumbles across a photograph of a boy with an eerie resemblance to him, she can't pass up the chance to track him down. With research for work as her cover, she sets out with one of the station's photogs for the place where the picture was taken: the town of Sanctuary. 

Almost as soon as she arrives, she meets the town's handsome young mayor, Rueben King, and together they begin to uncover long held secrets that could tear the small town apart and change everything Wynter thought she knew about her life. As the truth of her family's past hides in the shadows, it's clear someone will stop at nothing to keep the answers she's searching for hidden forever--even if the cost is Wynter's very life.”

What I loved most about Gathering Shadows is that the author grabbed my attention from the first page and held it all way to the end. The plot is so intriguing that I had trouble putting the book down! Near the end of the book, I was turning the pages so fast that I had to read the ending twice to make sure I didn’t miss anything! This is a five-star plot! 

The book includes inspirational themes of love, forgiveness, and trust between the characters in the book, as well as between God and man. Personally, I didn’t find the Christian themes intrusive, but others may not feel the same way. It is obviously a Christian book and does not include any sex scenes or cuss words.

Gathering Shadows is Book 1 of a series. Many times, I avoid reading the first book in a series until after the other books are released because the first book doesn't “end” and I usually feel “cheated." I didn’t feel this way about Gathering Shadows. Mehl did a good job of tying up the major plots while leaving hints of what will happen in the future. I was satisfied with the ending, but I’m still looking forward to finding out what happens next to my favorite characters!

If you’re looking for an inspirational, nail-biting mystery with a touch of clean romance, then this is the book for you!

Disclosure: I was provided a copy of this book from the author and Bethany House Publishers to read and review. The opinions expressed are mine alone.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete