Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

What I DON'T LIKE about teaching at the Tutorial Center

I love teaching at Cornerstone Tutorial Center, but there is one problem with it: There isn't enough time to do all the fun things I want to do with the kids! I only get them for 80 minutes per class, one day a week (160 minutes for Biology). I know we are only supposed to supplement what they are learning elsewhere, but I feel cheated!

For instance, yesterday, we did a project in composition class from the Always Write website called, A Tale of Two Cities. It was so much fun; but, we had to quit before we were finished. The object of the exercise is to learn how to write and punctuate complex sentences, as well as improve vocabulary. The way it works is this:

1. We read the introductory sentence to A Tale of Two Cities (which is a paragraph long!) and discuss the use of antonyms and commas in the piece.



2. The kids then had to come up with six of their own antonym pairs for their own writing project.

3. They had to find words in the thesaurus to replace their 10 cent words with 50 cent words (ones that they were not familiar with).

4. We discussed how to connect sentences with conjunctions.

5. Then the students had to take their six pairs and write a paragraph that ended with "In short" as in our sample piece of literature.

Since we didn't get it finished in class, I asked them to finish it at home. I hope to showcase some of them on here when I get them.

The creator of the lesson plan, Corbett Harrison, strongly suggested that the teacher complete one as well. I did, and here is my prose of the day in 30 minutes or less! Not Dickens, but it sure was fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment