Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

I Choose C - this is funny!

There's a lot of controversy these days about Common Core. I don't know enough about it yet to make an intelligent decision on which way I would like to see our education system go. I am still in the process of finding out more about it. However, I did find this video online and I think it's hilarious!



Unfortunately, I have personally experienced kids who act like this. Our education system definitely needs fixing and I don't believe money is the answer. Not when so many private schools and homeschool kids receive a great education on a lot less. (I'm not saying that teachers are paid adequately - just that there is enough money spent per student. I think there needs to be better pay for teachers and less top-heavy administration costs.)

I do like the idea of incorporating more real life learning in school as Common Core seems to be addressing; however, I don't want National control of education. The government doesn't need one more thing to mess up, make more expensive, or to regulate according to an elite few.

I also don't like the way kids now have to learn algebra in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade. I've personally worked with kids who can't do basic math like multiplication, convert fractions to decimals, or understand place values; yet they are forced to move ahead into advanced math and getting bad grades. They come to me feeling "stupid," when they are not. They just need more time on the basics.

In addition, some of these kids have gifts in other areas that are never being developed for lack of time. Are we only going to allow STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) related occupations? No more artists, farmers, musicians, hairdressers, actors, mechanics, English professors, history teachers, and small business owners?

I'm a strong believer in customizing curriculum according to a child's gifts and interests. We don't make everyone take advanced art lessons or learn the Etmology of words - why should everyone have to take advanced math and science? Why do we think one is more important than another?

Yes, you might make more money (currently) from a STEM education, but will you be happy? Isn't that important, too?

That's my two cents on Common Core for today. Maybe I'll write more when I learn more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment