Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Book Review - A Noble Groom

I really hate writing bad reviews, but I have to be honest. A Noble Groom by Jody Hedlund wasn't my favorite book. 

I did read the book, and I had no trouble getting through it. It's just that I didn't like it as much as other books I've read in this genre because the plots are becoming all too familiar: a woman ends up alone, either through death of spouse or divorce, has a kid or two, and is struggling to make ends meet. Along comes good-looking guy, usually with some kind of secret, who, after he proves worthy, rescues her and they live happily ever after. A Noble Groom is a good story and it does have unique characters, but it's still the same story. 

The writing is excellent and I learned something about German immigrants; but, honestly, I just got bored. It isn't that I didn't like A Noble Groom. It's just that I didn't like it enough. For me, it's a 3 out of 5 star book. For someone who hasn't read many of these type of stories, it will probably be a 5-star book. It does have an interesting story and is told well. I'm just looking for something fresh and new. This doesn't do it.

(I received this book as a gift from the publisher, Bethany House, for the purpose of writing a review. The opinions are my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment