Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Short Night = A new author discovered!


Last night I couldn't sleep. I guess I had too much caffeine during the day. So I grabbed a new book off my "Books to Read" pile. The selection of choice was Queen of the Waves by Janice Thompson

I love anything related to the Titanic, so when I saw Queen of the Waves in the bookstore, I HAD to buy the book. My goal last night was to start the book and finish it over the next week. Instead, I kept reading until midnight; then I woke up at 3:30 am and finished the book. I loved it! 

The plot was a tad bit like A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court. The main characters are two young ladies, Jacquie, born of high rank, and Tess, an abused young lady who is forced to tend pigs for her alcoholic father. They don’t switch places, but Jacquie convinces Tess to take her place on the Titanic so that Jacquie can marry the man she loves rather than the man her father has picked out for her. Tess agrees to go to get away from her abusive father. From there the adventures and life lessons begin. 

The story is fun, enjoyable, intense in some parts (great plot!), and has a satisfying conclusion. It also has a gentle Christian message of a loving God and forgiveness. I'll definitely be looking for more books by Janice Thompson, especially if they are historical in nature. 

If you like historical fiction with a bit of romance and adventure, I think you'll like Queen of the Waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment