Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Home Cooking and Still Dieting - You Gotta Love It!

I was brought up on home cooking. Eating salads three meals a day would not do it for me. So, I ordered this book, Simply the Best All American by Weight Watchers and gave it a try. It now sits on my kitchen counter every day. I love the recipes and I'm still losing weight!

The recipes are divided into sections of the country: New England, Mid-Atlantic, The Midwest, The Plains, The South, The Gulf States, The Southwest, The Mountain West, and The Pacific & Northwest. Each section contains recipes that are favorites of that region.

For example, from the New England section there are recipes for New England Clam Chowder (9 points - LOW for this soup!), Yankee Pot Roast (7 points), and Maine Blueberry Crumb Pie (only 5 points and yummy!).

In the Mid-Atlantic, where I was raised, there is Maryland Crab Cakes (I love these and only 5 points!), Garden State Creamed Corn (1 point!), and New York Cheese cake (only 4 points!) There's also Amish Cinnamon Bread for only 2 points!

Moving West - where I am now (in Oklahoma), I wondered how you could make cowboy food low calorie! Well, they did. First, there's Barbecued Beef (5 points), Cowboy Steak also known as Chicken Fried Steak (6 points - amazing!), and Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce (8 points).

After I tried a few of my favorites, I looked through the rest of the book and found all kinds of yummy favorites lightened for my new lifestyle: How about Sweet Potato Pie at 1 point? (Sure, it's only 1/12 of a pie, but it's better than nothing. And if I have extra points, I can increase the serving!) Or how about Jambalaya for only 8 points per serving? Yummy! Or Scalloped Potatoes with Jarlsberg and Smoked Gouda at 3 points? There's even Whoopie Pies for 2 points, and one of my all-time favorites - sweet potato biscuits at only 2 points each!

The best thing about these recipes is that there are no preservatives, no trans-fats, and no artificial sugars used. Sodium is decreased by using low-sodium products. And it tastes great! This is the kind of diet I can stay on forever.

So far, from June 2009 to today, March 2010, I've lost 48 pounds. And I haven't felt hungry or deprived yet, thanks to cookbooks like this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment